Tuesday, March 12, 2013

How To Pack Fertile Hatching Eggs to Ship or Mail

By Leigh -

It's mid-March, and you know what that means... it's time to hatch eggs!

If, like me, you keep pure breeds and sell their eggs, it is nice to know you have done all you can to insure they arrive to their destination un-cracked and un-scrambled. 
Unfortunately we can't control how boxes of eggs are treated by USPS, but there are ways of protecting the eggs from concussion.

I will share a method with you that has worked amazingly well for me so far. Buyers have not reported a single cracked egg (yet) and most of these eggs are able to develop.


So just a rundown of what I covered in the video:

  • Wrap egg in a 1/2 sheet of paper towel. Mark end of paper towel to show the fat end (air cell end) of the egg.
  • Roll into an 8" x 12" sheet of bubble wrap (bubbles toward the eggs). Cut off one corner of the wrap to show which end is "Up."
  • Tape the bubble wrap in the middle and on each end.
  • Place the wrapped eggs in a heavy duty plastic bag with the fat/air cell ends toward the zipper.
  • Put packing paper in corners and around edges of shipping box.
  • Place the bag (air cells/zipper side up) in the middle of the box. 
  • Finish packing box with plenty of packing paper to keep the bag of eggs from shifting from the middle.
  • Tape up box and add shipping information.
I didn't cover this in the video, but be sure to mark the box with "Fragile!" on all sides.

While it may seem that I am more than a little OCD about wrapping my eggs, my birds and my customers are important to me. So far the hatch rates on my shipped eggs have been well worth the effort! 

I do hope this can be helpful to those who wish to sell and ship fertile hatching eggs. Good luck and happy hatching!


- Leigh 

 *

No comments:

Post a Comment